The holidays are rapidly approaching and we have the latest in shopping and holiday gift card trends for this season!
According to the National Retail Federation’s Holiday Consumer Spending Survey, consumers will spend an average of $805.65 on food, decorations, gifts, and more this holiday season, the highest amount in the survey’s 15-year history!
Top findings of consumers surveyed showed:
- 46% of browsing and buying this holiday season will be done online
- 4% of smartphone owners will use their device to purchase merchandise this year, the highest since 2011
- 7% said free shipping/shipping promotions are important factors in their decision on where to shop
Back in 2008, the Incentive Research Foundation (IRF) launched its Pulse Study, tracking industry suppliers and program owners for their view on the economy’s impact on merchandise and gift card programs. Now, 7 years later, trends are looking the best they have in years. The overall impact of the economy is a positive one and budgets are up.
Holiday gift card trends, merchandise preferences and more this season:
- Positive Impacts on Program Design – Less businesses believe that economic conditions are having a negative impact on gift card and incentive programs.
- Budgets are Trending Upwards – 50% of planners will increase their budgets this year; per person spending is also up.
- Experiences Lead the Way – The economy is being tailored to different age groups to offer more relevant and robust experiences.
- Limited Luxury – There is a balance between what we need and what is considered a luxury item. Electronics and open-ended gift cards (think Visa branded) are now popular items for programs.
- Wellness – Boosting wellness and rewarding those who engage in wellness continues to grow in popularity.
Read 5 more trends from The IRF Pulse Study here!
“58.8% consumers celebrating the holidays say they would like to receive gift cards as a gift.”
Gift cards have been the most requested gift by consumers for the last 9 years! It’s easy to thank everyone this season with gift cards. Gift cards help your employees, vendors, and customers remember their holiday gift and make buying and giving more convenient and budget friendly.
GiftCard Partners helps companies select the right card that will leave a lasting impression on employees, vendors, and customers. We also provide our clients gift cards, such as CVS/pharmacy®, Whole Foods Market, The Cheesecake Factory and more, at discounts based on the volume of your order.