During the holiday season, it can be challenging to budget for gifts, decorating, and family gatherings. Earning credit card points can help you redeem that special something that may have been just slightly out of your budget. Racking up credit card points can be simple and quick with these expert tips on earning points in different ways this holiday season.
- Register for Revolving Categories – Look for cards that offer 5% discounts on revolving categories that are aimed at holiday spending – for instance, Discover card’s cashback program offers a 5% bonus for online shopping. A few years ago Chase offered 5% back when the cardholder spent $1,500 at Amazon.com. Searching out these types of rewards can save you big.
- Pick one card to focus on – Keeping things simple can help you avoid juggling multiple rewards programs. Picking one card to focus your efforts on can help you build a larger pool of rewards that you can use for bigger purchases.
- …Or pick one reward – Many cards offer huge cash back or point bonuses for specific spending. For example, pick a card that offers 5% back in gas purchases and use that card solely for gas purchases. Or combine two big rewards, such as gas and dining out.
- Choose a card that maximizes your spending habits – When you sign up for a new credit card, typically, there is an excellent sign-up bonus. For example, the Citi Prestige card offers 50,000 bonus credit card points for spending $3,000 within the first three months.
- Call your card companies – Don’t hesitate to call your card companies to find out what credit card points and rewards are being offered and then use those to your advantage. Credit card companies want to extend bonuses to you over the holidays because it’s a huge spending period with a longer payback time, so it’s usually in their best interest.
*Bonus – Shop Through a Rewards Portal – Rewards portals, such as MyPoints.com, allow you to earn points simply by shopping for major brands on their website. Double those points by using your point earning credit cards for your purchases! There are also bonus ways to earn points with things like surveys, coupons, and games.